From Student to Teacher

Hi! My name is Brittany May, and I am an Elementary Education major at the College of William and Mary. This blog is all about my journey through education... the questions I have and the answers I find, as well as lessons learned along the way, in this never-ending learning process of being a student and becoming a teacher. Hope you enjoy!

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Teaching With Technology, Part 2

After teaching my technology lesson, I had the chance to observe a friend teach hers in a 5th grade classroom that opened my eyes to a deeper perspective of teaching with technology. Her lesson was phenomenal! She had the students using the school laptops to learn longitude and latitude by tracking hurricanes. I was extremely impressed with the entire thing. What I was most impressed with was how she handled everything. She did a wonderful job teaching the lesson. The students obviously had experience with computers, but the novelty of having laptops created a surge of excitement, along with some rather uncooperative and disruptive behavior. What did not help was the fact that her cooperating teacher skipped out on the whole thing, and was not there to help. I marveled at how she remained composed and kept going, despite the students' behavior and even through technological glitches. What I learned is that technology can be a wonderful tool for education, but the students have to be taught how to use it before expecting them to use it to learn any content. I now understand how necessary it is to also have the proper support in the classroom to monitor and facilitate learning with technology. It can be a powerful and effective tool, but only when these things are in place.

1 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger Malini said...

Brittany- I agree with you 100%. Technology is such a powerful tool, but kids really do need to be taught how to use it. Laptops certainly seem like they would be exciting for 5th graders, but I can also see how that might be a logistical nightmare.

I have noticed that even in college classrooms with laptops, there are technological glitches- whether it's a laptop taking a really long time to boot up, or whether it is a more serious issue. I think it's important that teachers help each other out when they can in terms of using technology in the classroom.

I am very impressed that Rachel had the courage to use laptops without her CT in the room. My CT hesitated to use them even when she was there. We ultimately decided to just go to the computer lab instead.

I bet Rachel really appreciated your help when teaching her lesson!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home